Wednesday 14 January 2015

Detox Soup Recipe with step by step photos

Hi friends!
I hope everyone is surviving in this cold, cold weather.
Where the heck have I been? I have been busy busy busy in the kitchen! It's time I start sharing my recipes and successes with you my lovely readers again.
For Christmas I was given the "oh she glows" cook book by Angela Liddon.
I cannot tell you folks enough how much I truly love and adore this book. So much in fact that in less than a month, the pages are falling out because I have used and abused it so much.
I highly recommend purchasing her book!

I know after the holidays a lot of people tend to feel sluggish, whether it's from overindulging during the holidays, or simply because January is the month where the holiday bills come in and the weather is.. shall we say... uninspiring.

I tried a great recipe from the book I previously mentioned and I'd love to share it with you all.
I found this soup a great way to kickstart getting back into healthy habits and reboot your system. ( Not to mention in the cold Canadian weather I'm all about snuggling up with a warm bowl of soup!)
I hope you all enjoy!

It's easy peasy to make!

Eat Your Greens Detox Soup 

Ingredients :

1.5 teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil
1 sweet onion,diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups (750 ML) sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
1 cup (250 ml) chopped carrots
2 cups (500 ml) chopped broccoli florets
Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1.5 to 3 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/8th teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1-inch strips (optional)
2 cups torn kale leaves
Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)

This soup is packed with detoxifying and immunity boosting ingredients like broccoli, mushroom, ginger, kale, nori and garlic.  The prep time is said to be about 25 minutes and cook time is 20-30 mins.
It is vegan, gluten free, soy-free, nut free and grain free.

I found I had leftovers which was great and I found it simple to prepare the ingredients first and have them ready to toss in.

1.In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.

2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes more.

3. Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.

(don't mind my giant cozy socks heehee)

4. Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.


5. Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired.


and Voila!



Guys I want to express how empowering it is to get into your kitchen and nourish yourself! On a daily bases I see people buying over priced, pre packaged food that they don't even seem to enjoy! Making something from fresh whole ingredients and enjoying the fruits of your labour is so rewarding.

Let me know if you guys try out and enjoy this recipe, or if you were inspired to create something of your own!


Well friends that's it for now. I'm about to take a big step of my own. We know I love to be in the kitchen making healthy meals, but now it's time to get my buns back in the gym. I'll be meeting with a trainer to show me a routine and starting to work out 4 times a week to be the best version of myself I can be. Wish me luck friends.

until next time

xoxo

Raw Mermaid





No comments:

Post a Comment